How do you see Jesus? We are called to cast our eyes on Him. We are told to see Him and we are given descriptions of Him. For me, for a long time, most of my images of Jesus had Him on the throne at times, but often looked back into His ministry on the earth. Maybe Jesus healing people. Maybe Jesus on the cross. Those are great ways to visualize His love. But those are past events. Those are earth bound events. They don't exactly picture where He is now, or fully embody who He is.
So let's give some attention to the book of Revelation. John is show a representation fo Jesus, and it is both comforting and terrifying. We are asked to take in two converse ideas of Christ: slain lamb, and yet powerful and wrathful lamb. Let's see Jesus in His present place, and perhaps find ourselves on our faces like John being lifted up by the soft yet firm hand of our Savior and King.
- If I asked you to picture Jesus, what image would come to mind?
- How can seeing Him on earth be a slightly limited view of Jesus?
- How does Jesus look to you if you imagine Him presently in heaven?
- How do you balance the view of a pure and loving Christ with flaming eyes?
- How will it shape your faith to see both the shed blood and the pertruding sword?